Cyprus has a wide range of renewable energy sources and technologies such as solar energy, photovoltaic grid and stand – alone systems, wind energy, wind turbines for water pumping as well as for generating electricity, biomass and small hydro.
Due to the long hours of sunlight that the country enjoys, Cyprus is one of top ranking countries in solar energy use for water heating in households, and has achieved significant progress in the production of energy from Renewable Energy Sources (RES). The most important projects relating to power generation from RES concern wind parks and photovoltaic parks.
The energy policy of Cyprus is harmonized with that of the European Union. The main aspects of the energy policy, as stated by the Ministry of Energy, Commerce, Industry and Tourism, include:
• The liberalisation of the electricity and oil markets;
• The establishment and operation of a strategic oil stock terminal;
• The implementation of development programmes relating to the use of energy conservation, technologies, the utilisation of ingenious RES and the protection of the environment from industrial pollution;
• The RES target is to supply at least 13% of the country’s energy by 2020; and
• The promotion of oil products and other sources of environmentally friendly energy, such as natural gas.